04 May, 2009

Sunday morning's messenger

By the time I got to church on Sunday morning, I was rattled. I was so scatter-brained. To make a long story short, I experienced what I think a lot of families experience on Sunday morning- stress. When I got out of the car on Sunday morning, Jonathan (our worship pastor) was in the parking lot getting something out of his truck. I sighed and told him, "I'm not preaching this morning." He said, "I'm not either." I said, "Fine then. I'll do it."

Walking through the halls that morning, it was so weird trying to be a pastor when my psyche had been wrecked minutes earlier. When people asked me how I was, trying not to be two-faced, I responded, "Scatter-brained." That was true. But if someone would have said, "Hey Kyle, are you ready to preach? Are you pumped?" I would have had to lie and said "Absolutely."

But then it happened. I believe God sent a messenger to me right before the service started. "Hey Kyle, I don't know if anyone has told you this before, but I just want to say 'Thank you.'"
"For what?"
"For all that you guys do. I love this church. I have never liked church and I haven't been to church in over 20 years. I've never been religious, really. But I feel so free right now. I feel like I can have a relationship with God. I feel accepted by God. Thank you."

Needless to say, it put me in my place. I decided that there was nothing I would rather do than what I was about to do- deliver a message of hope to the people of God.

God is always on time. I love the way that God will always deliver His timely message- to his messengers and through his messengers. Have you ever been there? Just when you needed a bail-out, a fresh message, an encouraging word- God brought the noise and revived your soul...

No comments:

Post a Comment