01 July, 2009

How much will you allow the culture to shape you and your family?

Over the past few weeks I have asked the church this question: How much are you going to allow the culture to shape your family?
Last Sunday I cried (yeah, so!) when I talked about how I felt when I was at the gym and was watching a whole slew of tv's that were showing what to me appeared to be degrading. There was a heaviness and inner pressure I felt as I watched a music video of a former Disney Princess. It was a music video of Hillary Duff and I was saddened by how common it had become for everyone to see a woman singing and dancing suggestively in short shorts and in tight dresses (that's right- Hillary Duff!). I had a hard time explaining how it made me feel that everyone was on their own treadmill (going nowhere, mind you), watching entertainment that had zero redeeming qualities about it. I run the risk of seeming legalistic here, but we cannot settle for that to be normal in our lives!
I ran across this blog from John Piper, and I feel like here he is able to capture with ease what I was trying so hard to say on Sunday with tears.
I'll give you a short excerpt from it, and if you want to read it in its entirety, then go for it. You'll be better for it.

There are, perhaps, a few extraordinary men who can watch action-packed, suspenseful, sexually explicit films and come away more godly. But there are not many. And I am certainly not one of them.

I have a high tolerance for violence, high tolerance for bad language, and zero tolerance for nudity. There is a reason for these differences. The violence is make-believe. They don’t really mean those bad words. But that lady is really naked, and I am really watching. And somewhere she has a brokenhearted father...


To check out the rest of his blog, and to see why he has not owned a television in 40 years, click here.

1 comment:

  1. mmm...tight words from Piper...its the thinking about the dad that kills me. even though my kids are boys. that she was someones little girls...ouch. great stuff...popped over from your guest blog at robshep. funny stuff there as well.

    ReplyDelete