09 January, 2010

I am selfish.

This holiday season has reminded me of many things. Like- a family that loves God is the greatest blessing, traveling non-stop from one place to another is not a blessing, my wife and son are AWESOME, and I am selfish.
CS Lewis wrote about this sickness. He addresses his own selfishness (some call it depravity) with bravery:

All this is flashy rhetoric about loving you.
I never had a selfless thought since I was born.
I am mercenary and self-seeking through and through;
I want God, you, all friends, merely to serve my turn.

Peace, reassurance, pleasure, are the goals I seek,
I cannot crawl one inch outside my proper skin;
I talk of love- a scholar's parrot may talk Greek-
But, self-imprisoned, always end where I begin.


I was blessed with great food, friends, family, and great memories, but as embarrassing as it is to say, all I keep thinking about is how much money I received for Christmas, how much money I have left to spend, and how much I want stuff.

Anytime I replace God with something else, then I am guilty of idolatry. God save me from myself and open my eyes to see the emptiness of loving the riches of this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment