18 October, 2010

Nuggets: Psalm 1-10

I love the Psalms. Throughout my life, God has used the Psalms to strengthen me, encourage me, and challenge me in my estimation of Him. The Psalms have proven to be a steady agent of change in my heart. In my best days and worst, there are the Psalms. When I have words to say to God, there are the Psalms. When I am speechless, there are the Psalms. This morning, here are a few nuggets that have nourished my soul:
PSALM 1- "for the LORD knows (intimate interaction) the way of the righteous."
PSALM 2- "Kiss the Son (the Lord's anointed One, Jesus Christ), lest he be angry, and you perish in the way, for his wrath can flare up in a moment. Blessed are all who take refuge in him." Psalm 2:12
PSALM 3- "I lay down and slept; I woke again, for the Lord sustained me." Psalm 3:5
PSALM 4-"But know that the LORD has set apart the godly for Himself; the LORD hears when I call to him." Psalm 4:3
PSALM 5- "But let all who take refuge in you rejoice; let them ever sing for joy, and spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may exult in you." Psalm 5:11
PSALM 6- "Save me for the sake of your steadfast love." Psalm 6:4
PSALM 7- "God is a righteous judge, and a God who feels indignation every day. If a man does not repent, God will whet his sword; he has bent and readied his bow." Psalm 7:11-12. (any connection to Genesis 9:16-17?)
PSALM 8- "Out of the mouth of babies and infants, you have established strength because of your foes, to still the enemy and the avenger." Psalm 8:2. (cf Genesis 3:15)
PSALM 9- "The Lord is a refuge for the oppressed; a stronghold in times of trouble. And those who know your name put their trust in you, for you, O LORD, have never forsaken those who seek you... For the needy shall not always be forgotten, and the hope of the poor shall not perish forever." Genesis 9:9-10, 18
PSALM 10- "You have been the helper of the fatherless... You hear, O LORD, the desire of the afflicted; you will strengthen their heart; you will incline your ear to do justice to the fatherless and the oppressed, so that man who is of the earth may strike terror no more." Psalm 10:14b, 17-18

No comments:

Post a Comment